I’ve officially been at my job at UCG for over 2 years. In that time I’ve traveled to probably 25 conferences or more. I’ve spent more hours than I care to think about on airplanes and sitting in airports. While traveling I’m never short on people to people watch or situations to wonder about. I love love love some of the things I get to see and experience. There are also things I would gladly do without.
I recently came across an article on CNN.com about whether or not children should be allowed in First Class. Without hesitation my vote is NO. The article was particularly interesting to me because it said that children traveling was the second thing that annoyed frequent business travelers, the first being people that carry too much luggage on a plane. I just about stood on my chair screaming "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" when I read that and it made me start to think about the things that I don’t care for while traveling….
1. Too much stuff on the plane. Hands down gets on my nerves the most. As a regular traveler I’d love to wait until the last minute to board the flight. It’s not like being in a limo for the first time for me. I don’t need to push every button or dig through the seat back pocket in front of me. I’d prefer to stand/pace at the gate until I absolutely have to get on. But, when the airlines don’t actually enforce their carry on rules I feel that I must board at my normally scheduled time to ensure that my laptop bag both finds a space in the over head bin and that space is relatively close to me, if not a row or two in front of me. The roller bags that airlines allow absolutely blows my mind….full blown suitcases in most cases. It is comical to me to watch people shove, push, and maneuver their bags all while scratching their heads seemingly confused as to why their “carry on” doesn’t fit in the overhead bin. Because it’s a full blown suitcase you MORON. If you are traveling for more than 2, maybe 3 days, (depending on shoe selection) you should probably be checking your bag. I know there are fees but so do you, so budget for it and get over it. Thanks.
2. Children on planes. Before I can vent too much about kids on planes my mother would remind me that once I was a kid on a plane. Duly noted. I also know that once upon a time I screamed my head off until I got my own seat belt (it was before I was old enough for my own seat and they gave me the safety demo seat belt to appease me). But please note that I did eventually stop screaming. I would just like to commend the parents that do an outstanding job of drugging their small child (hello Benadryl) and/or having something to distract their child with (quietly). Your efforts do not go un-noticed. I am very grateful for your preparedness and concern for others while trapped in a pressurized tube. To the parents who think air travel is just the same as any other day at home, shame on you. You are a lousy excuse for a parent. Air travel is NEW and EXCITING to a child. They are probably going somewhere cool that they are excited about, they are probably off their sleep/meal schedule, and they are probably overly stimulated by their new surroundings. Please plan accordingly. I have great parents. When we traveled we got the Bill Cosby-type lecture…you know the one, “I brought you in this world and I can take you out” (or, something to that effect) and we always always always had something new to entertain us (books, coloring books, even gameboy). More importantly we knew the consequences if we didn’t behave – window seat privileges revoked or even worse…no pool time at grandma and grandpa’s house. So again, to the good parents out there…thank you!
**The best solution for tuning out children on planes….Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. Please see previous post. Thanks again, Santa.
3. Personal Space. Should be a given right? I abandon my normal personal space boundaries the moment I head down the jet bridge to board my flight. I do not, however, abandon all personal space issues. Sharing the arm rest, fine. Sharing my seat, not ok. Fit in your own seat please. If you are concerned about fitting in your own seat, please buy another one. If I’m in the window seat with the shade open, do not reach across me with your hairy arm in my face, to close the shade. Even if my eyes are closed and you *think* I’m sleeping. Not ok. The person with the window seat controls the window.
I get a little nostalgic when I think of how flying used to be. I’ve been traveling by air since I was a baby (see item #2) and I can remember when air travel was a “luxury” or at the very least pleasant and enjoyable. I can remember when friends and family could meet you at the gate (often bringing flowers or gifts) and I can still remember the last time I went to gate to meet someone. June 2001 – my Aunt was flying in for my high school graduation. I remember when you got a meal on your flight and if your mom really loved you she’d call ahead and order you a Happy Meal. Thanks, Mom. I remember my sister and I would use the little cardboard backing behind our airline brownie to pop out the in-flight phone from its holder in the middle seat. Do they still have in-flight phones? I remember waiting for my flight in the Red Carpet room drinking unlimited Shirley Temples (ok, those are still around but I don’t have my dad’s membership anymore). I remember playing my gameboy and listening to The Bangles on my walkman (oh-yeah!). Oh the good old days.
Don't get me wrong I love my job and I love the travel that I get to do. I will continue to experience everything that I can while traveling here and there. But please, if you are going to be on my flight...consider the above items. Thanks.
**End Rant**
No comments:
Post a Comment