Monday, July 13, 2009

NY Bridal Shower Weekend

This weekend was the second Bridal Shower for Meredith, hosted in NY by Brad’s Mom and sisters. I got up bright and early (running on like 4 hours of sleep) and took off for NY. The drive was relatively easy so that part was nice. Got to Brad’s house just before the shower began – it was so nice to not be hosting this shower…I got to kick back and enjoy all the yummy food and great company without any “event planner” stress. A few weeks ago, in passing, I mentioned to Eileen that Meredith had asked me for a Pirate themed shower. I had told Mere no way and instead threw her a lovely beach themed shower in VA. Well, Eileen took my comment and RAN with it. Everything was Pirate theme complete with a “pirate map” of Meredith and Brad’s relationship and Pirate tattoos. It was all super cute and I think the guests really enjoyed it. People kept asking me, why Pirates?? I was like, I have no idea. The ice breaker game that Eileen came up with was we had to write down a story, event, or something that would help Meredith guess who we were without mentioning our name or how we are related to or know Meredith. I had to think hard about something PG rated but finally came up with: “Tastes like raspberry soda and Badcock Furniture.” Without missing a beat Meredith guessed it was me…naturally.


After the shower was over the guys headed out to dinner and the ladies kicked back and relaxed. I definitely needed a little downtime so I took a little siesta so that I’d be ready for whatever adventures were to come that evening. As it turns out, when the guys came back we all headed to the den to watch Brad’s Bar Mitzvah video (VHS and all) from 1996. Awesome. It was absolutely hysterical to watch Brad and his 13 year old friends dance around to Gloria Estefan and other hits from the ‘90’s wearing neon hats that said “let’s get crazy.” Good times. When all that excitement was over the young folks (Brad, Mere, Sam, Ryan and me) headed out to the bar. Every time (every single time) I stay at Brad’s house I want to go to Clarksville Inn – it is a total townie bar but it’s so much fun. Never crowded, cold beer, what more could you ask for? For whatever reason I channeled my inner Julie and ordered two mind erasers (the signature drink of the UCG conference department). Guess I was feeling festive =) Definitely a good time, I don’t get to hang out with that group as often as I’d like.


Up bright and early again on Sunday morning, had breakfast with the Mom’s (Jeanne and Eileen) then headed on back down the road. I stopped at a gas station in NJ (hello full service!) and the attendant noticed that flaming skull tattoo on my arm that said “death is certain, life is not” and he asked me if it was real. I laughed and said no and I think he was a little disappointed. Sorry, buddy. The drive home was uneventful with only a little traffic and thank goodness because I desperately needed a nap on my couch. In the last 8 months I’ve been to NY 4 times and will happily stay south of the Mason Dixon line for a little while. In just a few short weeks the NY crew will be in VA for the big day…can’t wait to see everyone again!!!

No comments: