Many months back (sorry, I'm a slacker) I started making more of an effort to batch cook, have meals on hand for when needed and to make my lunch for work. I decided to make a homemade empanada that could freeze as my own personal hot pockets for lunches. These work really well paired with a salad at the office. Yum!
So for the filling I browned a pound of ground beef and drained it. Added to that went in one can of Campbell's Chicken Gumbo condensed soup. No additional water is needed, just the soup. Then I measured out some dried mustard (about a teaspoon) and then up to a half a cup of ketchup. Salt and pepper to taste. Let that simmer down to a thick, sloppy joe type consistency.
Next, I took 2 cans of Grand's biscuits and rolled each biscuit out into a thin circle. Put a little filling in each biscuit and use a fork to seal them. Bake as directed on the grands's instructions and enjoy!
**If you are freezing them, I would flash freeze them on a baking sheet and then use your vacuum sealer to put them in groups of two to use as needed for lunches.
The good news is you could totally use this method for so many things. Pizza filling, ham and cheese, veggie pockets the options are endless.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment