Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bountiful Basket

Not to long ago a co-worker (and friend!) told me about Bountiful Baskets, a local produce co-op that serves the Northern Texas area.  Basically, the premiss is you "contribute" $15 each week you want to participate and on Saturday you go to your selected location and pick up your basket of produce.  It's an AWESOME value if you are trying to save on grocery costs, eat healthier or try new things.

Basically the non-profit group pools the contributions for the week to buy fruits and veggies in bulk to save everyone money.  There are a few key points to remember:

- You don't get to pick what you get in your basket.  The surprise is half the fun!
- You must pick it up at the designated time, after 20 min your basket is donated to charity.
- No minimum commitment, only contribute the weeks you'll be home to eat all that produce.
- It's totally and completely volunteer run.  Be kind and volunteer one week.

Here is what Dustin and I got in our basket this week:


- Head of Cauliflower
- Head of Broccoli
- Romaine Lettuce
- Dozen Brussel Sprouts
- 3 Peaches
- 2 Pears
- Bag of Grapes
- 8 Bananas
- 6 Onions
- 6 Tomatoes
- Dozen Plums
- Kale

I'm not sure about you but that's WAY more than I could ever hope to get at the grocery store for $15.  The only thing we probably won't cook with is the Kale. Gross.  I even tried Brussel Sprouts!  After we got our basket I made my grocery list and literally based on all the meal options from the basket all I had to pick up was meat and dairy (and wine).  I think I spent less than 30 minutes in the grocery store for weeks worth of food.

I have no excuse not to eat healthy this week, True Story!

No comments: