Saturday, May 19, 2012

I'm on a Train!


Oh man.

Several weeks ago Tom IM’s me and says “I just booked my birthday trip to Europe.”  I said, “that’s cool I’ll be in Vienna that week.” 

Vienna, Austria?

And so it began. 

We chatted back and forth about various options that made it so we could hang out while we were both in Europe.  Option #1 – he could do the gentlemanly thing and fly over to Vienna so that I didn’t have to switch hotel rooms after my meeting ended.  Option #2 – we could compromise and meet in London and spend the weekend there.  Option #3 – we could meet in London and then head over to Paris to stay with our friend Ludo.  Or, Option #4 – we could go to Prague and stay with his friend Joey. 

I have to admit Prague was never on my radar as a “must see” destination.  London! Paris! Barcelona!  Rome! All places I’d be told I had to see.  Prague just didn’t seem to come up all that often.  

I’m here to tell you that if Prague isn’t on your list it definitely should be. 

I won’t take credit for the plan but ultimately it was decided I would take a train(!) from Vienna to Brno in the Czech Republic.  My train got in at 4:47pm just 5 minutes after Tom’s flight landed.  He had the crazier plan to get through customs, get on a bus maybe and then eventually get to the train station.  He made it to the train station almost an hour before we thought he would so we were able to jump on an earlier train to Praha (Prague).  Helloooooooo bar car.  We had a relaxing ride mixed with text updates on how the Caps were doing in the playoffs back home.  Thanks, Mom.

Because my trip was last minute I was only able to stay for a few days before I had to get home.  This was of course no issue at all for our host for the weekend.  We hit the ground running as soon as we got to Prague hopping from I don’t even know how many bars.  I do remember at one point, after who knows how many shots, that I reminded the guys I didn’t have to do a shot every single time they did.  Sheesh!  I also remember dancing and street meat but both of those memories are slightly faded.  Either way, I know I had a great time.

Sunday Funday was just Tom and I as Joey had to coach a double header.  No worries, we started our morning out with Mojito’s and it was all down hill from there.  While we didn’t do any really touristy things we did sit on patios, drink beer, people watch and get caught up.  He might be a pain in my ass sometimes but I do miss our random day drinking that results in all night drinking.














No comments: