Well, my first trip around the world was full of fun, surprises and many new memories.
But before I could even get to the Admiral's Lounge to start my round-the-world-drinking I got picked up by car service. For the second time in one month I took car service to/from the airport. Not for nothing - it was simply the most economical transportation when you are going to be on the road for 8-10 days.
So, nothing unusual about car service except, unlike cab drivers, they feel the need to be CHATTY with you. Dude, relax. This is a pre-paid trip to the airport and thankfully it should take less than 20 minutes from door to curb.
So on with the chatty...Mr. Driver picks me up and asks the standard first question, "so, where are you traveling to?"
Me: [insert destination du jour here]
Mr. Driver: So do you travel a lot?
Me: Ummmmmm...about 30% of the time, sometimes more.
Mr. Driver: So you must not be married. (not a question, always a statement)
Me: [evil stare]
For serious. Why is that the first assumption any driver makes when they learn I travel "a lot" - I beg you to tell me? First of all, I have been in relationships before while being a meeting planner. Said relationships did not, I repeat did NOT end as a result of my travel. Second of all I know plenty of other men and women in this industry that are married and *gasp* even have children!
I need a quick-witted retort the next time a driver assumes that just because I travel I must be some unmarried spinster that can't even have CATS because I travel too much. For the record I don't even like cats. I only suggested that Dustin get one a few months ago because they were on sale. Not because I actually wanted one.
And further more - doesn't anyone remember the phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder."
Ok, end rant.
In other news - I had the best Valentine's date ever! Driver judgement be damned!
2 comments:
"My bf lets me keep boy toys around the world. Why would I want to ruin that with marriage?"
"Married, yes, just don't like him much."
"Shut the f*ck up ya nosy bastard!"
"Texas doesn't allow us to get married yet."
I can picture you giving the driver the stink eye :)
Post a Comment