Thursday, October 8, 2009

Weddings. It's what I do.

I have been in, attended and worked my fair share of weddings. I’m the type of person that normally has an opinion but about weddings I really have an opinion. It can’t be helped. I’ve put together a little list of wedding observations (in no particular order). They are meant to be a good read – maybe even funny.

1. The bouquet toss/garter toss – seriously?! Aren’t we past this tradition already? There is no faster way to get me out of the room and over to the bar then to announce the bouquet toss for all the single ladies. I have no issue being single and have, in fact, caught my fair share of bouquets (way back in the day). But honestly - playing “Girls just wanna have fun” or “Single ladies” and then parading your friends out to the dance floor is just mean. Enough already. And worse yet – when you make the poor guy that caught the garter put it on the girl that caught the bouquet (Courtney!). That is a serious violation of friendship. You might be happy in love and have found “the one” but can’t we just enjoy your big day in peace?


2. No shots at the open bar. I completely, 100%, understand why this is a rule. The groom’s drunken friends will get way past socially drunk and accidentally pee on grandma. But what about the slightly better behaved bridesmaids? Can’t we have a shot or two? It’s just mean to make me flirt shamelessly with the bartender in the hopes of one little shot of SoCo. There should be a select list of guests who are authorized to take shots. Just an idea.


3. Speaking about the bar…AMEN to the bartender that already has my gin and tonic on the bar the moment he sees me heading in his direction (usually dancing in his direction). The bartender at Meredith’s wedding was on point with this. Good work, my-new-bartender-friend, good work.


4. Organized dances. As long as you are only putting them on your play list because your parents insisted it’s the only thing their friends will dance to…then fine. But don’t you dare put the electric slide on your play list because YOU like it. We won’t be friends after your wedding.


5. Along the lines of music – 90% of the time I would suggest a DJ. They are quick and easy (twss). The exception to this rule was the band at Kristen and Stu’s wedding. They freaking ROCKED! I’m sure I didn’t sit down all night. So much fun.


6. The plus one standard. Without question, further discussion or debate – everyone in the bridal party should get a plus one. They have invested a significant amount of time, money, and love into making your big day special. The end.


7. The seating chart. Having never done one myself I’m fascinated by the thought process… “hey let’s put ALL singles together” or “don’t put uncle so and so near them!” Dana mentioned that her seating chart came together over several bottles of wine one night. I think I’m looking forward to this process the most. It would be my idea of a good time to mess with people…sit my most conservative friend(s) next to the most liberal and let the open bar take it from there.


8. The after party. Yes, mom – even after an open bar all night we still have the energy for more celebrating. Generally speaking the after party is almost as good as the wedding itself.


9. Brunch. Here’s the thing about brunch…it can go one of two ways. It could be a good way to catch up with people you maybe didn’t get to hang out with a lot the night before. A chance to eat yet another free meal and maybe even toast the happy couple again. The other option is you are completely hung-over, unsure of events from the night before and in no shape to attempt to eat food in front of others. Hmmm…maybe that no shots rule IS a good idea….


10. Men. Don’t the guys at weddings just looks so darn cute in their tuxes and suits. I mean really! The best part about working weddings is the eye candy. Girls can find a reason to get dressed up any night of the week but there is something way better about a guy all dressed up. You can dress ‘em up but you can’t take ‘em out….



No more wedding in 2009 (thank GOODNESS) but already working on the list for 2010....

No comments: