Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The dog that almost was...


So not this past weekend but the weekend before that (I know, I know...I'm behind) Chris, Jen and I were on our way back from the movies and we saw this dog running across Fair Lakes Parkway right by Fair Oaks Mall. We couldn't bare to watch the poor thing get hit by a car so we drove up beside her, I threw open the door, and she jumped right into the car. She sat right down and never made a sound. There is a good chance this was the most well behaved dog I have EVER met. We drove around for a while trying to find the owners and after no such luck we headed to the store to buy some food, a leash, and a collar so we could keep her for the night.

Jen posted a found listing on Craigs List and I called Fairfax County Police to report her found and see if anyone was looking for her. The officer I spoke with was super nice and let me know that lost dogs has been an increasing problem. Many people when they bail on their mortgage and move in the middle of the night - just let their pets go. So sad. For reasons that I'm not going to put in writing we named the dog - Rosalita. You figure it out.

Sunday morning came along and "Rosie" was doing just fine. No accidents, no whining, no barking....seriously...perfect. Jen and Chris drove her over to the Fairfax Animal Shelter with the decision made that if no one claimed her they were going to keep her. As soon as they got to the shelter they found that her owners had been there only minutes before looking for her. They immediately called them and they came rushing over to claim her....the woman was just about crying hysterically!

Good story, happy ending, sorry Rosie couldn't stay with us longer.

No comments: