So yesterday was my arthrogram MRI at Reston Imaging. The check in experience was comical because I haven't been there since 1997 when I had an MRI done on my knee. They had the wrong address, phone number, occupation (there wasn't one 11 years ago), no social security number on file (14 year olds don't know that kinda of stuff), and obviously wrong insurance. So when you are checking in to appointments like this it is a lot like triage at a hospital. You go to a semi-private desk area and go through all the stuff with the receptionist. I was going through all the standard questions updating my file...address, phone number, insurance, employment...the questions came to a screeching halt when she said "address of your employer" and I responded with "...Gaithersburg." She stopped typing, looked up and said "in Maryland???" I responded yes and said that I loved my job and my commute was completely worth it. She repeated "in Maryland???" Oy, see why I'm a Maryland hater - who would go there?
The rest of the appointment was pretty standard. I met with the nurse that would be assisting with the die injection. She went through all the possible side effects and outcomes. I signed the standard consent form. While I was reviewing all the paperwork I noticed the question about body piercings and I had to pause for a moment. Yes, I have a navel ring. Said ring and I go all the way back to freshmen year of college when my suite mates and I decided that would be a fun thing to do on a Tuesday night. I haven't taken it out in at least 5 years if not more (I've had it for 7). Another thing that has changed since 1997. It is metal and it did need to come out. So in between appointments (the die injection is done in one office and then you move down the hall to the MRI office) I had to go and take it out. That was traumatizing. I haven't seen my belly button naked in almost 7 years! Whoa.
I got to the MRI office and went straight back to my locker to put my stuff down. The nurse was so impressed with my outfit. I was in an all cotton dress with no zippers/metal. I had on a sports bra with no metal and obviously my undies were metal free as well. I didn't even have to change into the gown...I just went as I was and got straight on the table. Sweet!
The rest of the appointment went fairly smoothly. They positioned my arm, made me comfortable and away I went, headfirst into the big tube. Thirty minutes later I was in the waiting room waiting for my results on CD to take back to the doctor. I meet with the doctor Thursday of next week to have the results read and hopefully come up with a treatment plan. Fingers crossed he just says PT =)
No comments:
Post a Comment