Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Couponing and other important matters...

I wouldn't call it a resolution, necessarily, but I would call it a goal of 2011 - SAVE MORE MONEY. Isn't that the goal of every year? Yes, but I've lived the last couple of years without putting anything on my credit card. I've been paying off the good times of my early 20's (good times that I enjoyed VERY much) and doing my best to pay for everything on my check card so it's basically like using cash. I'm no financial planner (also on the list for 2011...get a financial planner) but it seems like a system that is working for me. Spend less, save money, pay down what's left of the credit card debt. I no longer feel *that* stressed about it. I'm on a good path and moving in the right direction.

Now, back to my point....save $$! In the times that we are in that certainly has to be everyone's goal. I have no genius breakthrough on the money saving topic I'm just going with the tried and true methods. First, I clip coupons and keep an eye on sales. Sounds easy, right? HA! They are making shows about how to be successful at this! Clipping coupons, easy. Remembering to have them with you and/or maximize their potential, takes way more thought and consideration.

Only about 5 weeks into the year and I can safely say that I've saved close to $50 on groceries and household items. I have no idea if that number is a successful first month or not but I have to assume saving anything is better than saving nothing. Amen. Things like batteries (hello, power outage two weeks ago), toilet paper, toothpaste and mouth wash...I've saved on it all. I follow a blog; http://hip2save.com/ which alerts me to all kinds of awesome deals and ways to make your coupons go further.

I'm still figuring out how to "work the system" and stack my coupons, double up etc...but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm also making decisions on when to stock pile and when to hold off. WHY does anyone need 10 bars of soap just because it's on sale? I have limited storage and being a singleton I don't fly through some home basics as fast as a family or couple might. Doesn't make sense to stockpile too much stuff.

Now...onto the important stuff. I decided to make Mike's friend Randy a batch of homemade Mac & Cheese after his mom passed away last week. I figured comfort food was very much needed in a situation like that. So, I turned to my friend Pioneer Woman and found her recipe for Macaroni and Cheese.

Of course I called Leslie to tell her I was making it and that no, I would not be posting step by step pictures of it. Why should I when PW already did it for me?! But of course Leslie wanted to see it anyways...so here it is in all it's glory....


AND that's all I got this time. True Story.

No comments: