Thursday, September 23, 2010

Time to get my learn on.

About 2 months ago I started the process of getting my CMP, Certified Meeting Professional. Basically in the land of event planning you have to have your CMP to prove your not just some over-paid assistant that books a board room, orders coffee and calls it "meeting planning." Having your CMP means you actually know your shit.

Earning my CMP was on my "5 year plan" post college. If all goes well and I get it in 2011 it will be kinda sorta on the 6 year plan. Y'all know I hate when I don't stick to the plan so hopefully I hurry up and get it in February!!!

To get your CMP you must:

1. Meet all requirements. For me, a non-tourism/hospitality major I had to work in the industry for at least 36 months as well as have earned over 25 hours of continuing education.

**Thank you Hyatt for funding all my education hours. Love you, mean it.

2. Apply and be accepted. It took about 2-3 weeks to gather all the necessary paperwork and documentation along with updating my resume.

3. Register for the exam. Done and done! The exam is only offered 2 times per year; Q1 and Q3. Because I'd rather just get it over with at this point I've elected to take the January 8, 2011 exam.

4. Study Study Study! Now that I'm registered for the exam it is time to study my BUTT off. No really, lots of studying. My former boss advised I "study early and study often." Yowza. It's been a good 6 years since I've had to study for anything so I'm pretty anxious about this part of the process. It does however mean that I have an excuse to buy new SCHOOL supplies!!!!!!! Maybe it's because I'm an August baby but I just love me some new school supplies. Mmmmm I can already smell the fresh post-it notes. =)

The studying includes the books pictured above and an online study group. The online study group has 1 assessment exam, 23 learning modules, and 3 practice exams. Can't wait to fit all that into my busy schedule!

5. Pass the exam. I won't know for about 6 weeks after I take the exam if I passed. That's going to be a loooooooooooong 6 weeks.

6. Reconcile your amex bill. Ok, this is being done as we speak since it's due on my next expense report but in total this little exam will cost (OPIS) $1,284. Cheaper than grad school!

Wish me luck!

No comments: