I went with the Jer, the Jack and the George to the O’s game. They were playing the Indians and the weather was perfect. Too bad the O’s were not….oh well I guess this is how Redskins fans feel year after year. Before and after the game we hung out at Pratt Street Ale House which was awesome. Definitely a great spot pre and post game minus the fact that our parking permit is for a lot on the other side of the stadium. Guess we’re walking…
The week after the game was a pretty busy/hectic week for me. I flew out to Houston on Tuesday morning to run a conference. I was SUPER excited to be back in Houston for the first time since we moved in 1988. Holy 22 years, Batman! I’m not sure if it was the humidity, the heat, or just being back “home” but I had a flashback to my childhood when I deplaned and for a brief second was positive my grandparents would be waiting there at the gate for me. It was a total flashback. Houston was great (I had no doubt). From the crazy dinner with my coworkers at Pappsito’s to hanging out with my cousin and his wife it was a great trip.
Wednesday while I was in Texas I got a call that my grandmother was in the hospital for low blood pressure and a kidney infection. Grandma: go to the doctor sooner, crazy. By Friday she was still hanging out in the hospital, improving but still pretty sick. Now, how often am I all the way in Texas or even remotely close when someone in the family gets sick? Just about never, unless it’s my grandmother who seems to have BP issues whenever I’m around. Seriously…go to the doctor sooner next time! So a quick change of my flight (moved to Sunday night), a quick reservation for a rental car and a few other last minute tweaks to my schedule and before I knew it I was driving from Houston to Austin. The drive was totally easy…nothing but cows and horses the whole way complete with big puffy white clouds that can only be found in Texas.
I pulled into the hospital parking lot right behind my Aunt who was just getting there as well. She knew I was coming but I don’t think she had any idea I was RIGHT behind her. It was a great surprise made even better by surprising my grandma in her room. Clearly, I’m her favorite since she told every nurse that came in that her (favorite) granddaughter came all the way from VA just to see her ;-) Oh yeaahhhhhhhhh – my post its aren’t getting removed any time soon!
The rest of the weekend was spent helping my Aunt make trips back and forth from the hospital and reading with my new friends: Chuck and Bobo (see below). Oh, and Round Rock Donuts too!! Good times and nice to see everyone in Texas. Can’t wait to be back in a few weeks.

No comments:
Post a Comment