Saturday, December 20, 2008

Craigs List 101

Most people know of my impending doom...moving again. I've been lucky enough to be in one apartment with one roommate that I can mostly stand for almost two years now. Jen and I live the good life in our lovely roommate style apartment right in Fairfax. Then Jen had to up and find herself a man that wants to live with her (dear crazy!) and she'll be moving out in February/March or whenever I let her out of her rent.

Every single friend/co-worker/family member/stranger on the street has suggested "just go on Craigs list!" and ta-da, all my problems will be solved. Right. This earth-shattering advice coming from my home-owning, married (or living with their SO), baby making friends. For me it simply not that easy and I have GOOD reason.

Before I lived in this apartment (found on Craigs list) I lived in a townhouse (found on Craigs list). I lived in said townhouse with three other roommates and we had a pretty good time. Then one day one roommate left and the other two roommates and I were left to fill her spot. Basically we needed a short term fairly decent person to fill the extra bedroom to help with the rent. We advertised for weeks on Craigs list and found nothing. Ok, I lied...we found middle aged men and the last pick in the 2006 NFL draft that was on the practice squad for the Redskins. You can see why we kept looking. It was the holidays and we were starting to feel the pinch in out wallet. We needed a roommate.

Along comes Dude. Honestly, have NO IDEA to this day what his name was. I called him Dude. He was 28ish from JMU and basically was working on his graduate degree and doing a project for T. Rowe Price in Tysons. He needed a room, we had a room, he seemed normal enough and better yet he went back to JMU on the weekends. Score. Dude lived with us for about two months helping out with the last months on our lease. Dude worked long hours and was rarely seen. Occasionally Dude would annoy me by parking behind me as opposed to on the street but that appeared to be the worst of his habits.

On one of the last nights that Dude was going to be with us I was rudely awaken at 2:00am. What woke me was the shower being turned off and me thinking that it was weird that he would be showering at such an odd hour. But fine whatever. As I laid in bed trying to go back to sleep I realized I was hearing voices outside arguing (my window was right above the front door). I heard things about "not the deal we agreed on" and "come on, you gotta help me out." At this point I become alarmed...wtf is going on downstairs?!?! I decide I need witnesses so I wake up the rest of the house, Craig and Steph. We stand in hall upstairs and listen to people coming in and out of the house and various comments. Nothing indicated that we needed to get involved so we just let Dude be. As I'm going back to bed I take a look out my window to see two girls getting into a car - turns out he had prostitutes in our house. At 2:00am creepy Dude found on Craigs list was paying women for sex in MY house.

The next morning while Dude was sleeping it off - we found his UNDERWEAR on the couch and an entire bottle of Kettle gone. We never confronted Dude because he was about to move out but we did make him replace the vodka. Priorities, right? At any rate....I'm a little nervous about the whole Craigs list thing when it comes to roommates. I have every intention of finding my next apartment on Craigs list but I'm not sure I can invite someone to live with me that I find on Craigs list. Even a crazy person can ACT normal. I don't need another Dude in my life.

No comments: